Council Tool Velvicut Boy's Axe: Initial Impressions




I took my new Council Tools Velvicut Boy's Axe out for some time in the woods this afternoon. My initial impression is favorable. The axe feels good in the hands. The handle is around 27 1/2 inches. It is just slightly shorter than my Council FSS boys axe and Fiskars 28 inch chopping axe. The head weight is listed at 2.25 lb. Overall it is a few ounces heavier than the FSS version and about the same as the Fiskars. The handle is well contoured and shaped. From the factory the edge was sharp and needed no work. I tested it right out the box.




It bites nice and deep into the wood. The lighter head weight allows for a lot of chopping before arm fatigue. The handle comes from the factory un-coated. I coated mine with a few coats of boiled linseed oil. 




Overall I am very pleased with its performance right out of the box. It also seems to hold an edge well. I used it for about an hour of chopping and noticed no edge damage whatsoever. The 5160 that the axe is forged from holds a keen edge.

Comments